|
|
source: © 2008 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur
Bayern believe Hitzfeld leaving at end of season
Jan 2, 2008, 13:30 GMT
Munich - German league leaders Bayern Munich expect Ottmar Hitzfeld to leave at the end of the season, with reports linking the coach with the Swiss national team.
'You can assume he won't be staying after June,' Bayern general manager Uli Hoeness was quoted as saying by Bild newspaper Wednesday.
German media reported Wednesday that Hitzfeld had been talking over the festive period with a Swiss team official.
Hitzfeld, 58, is being seen as successor to Jakob Kuhn as Switzerland national team coach after this summer's European Championships.
Hitzfeld said before the Bundesliga winter break he had already made up his mind on whether or not to extend his contract at Bayern, but would not make an announcement until the end of January.
He replaced Felix Magath as Bayern coach on February 1, 2007 for his second spell at the club, but was said to have been upset by criticism from chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in November.
In his first spell in charge from 1998 to 2004 he won four Bundesliga titles, one German Cup title and the Champions League in 2001.
Bayern spent some 70 million euros (100 million dollars) on new players in the summer and top the Bundesliga, although their bright early-season form had faded in the weeks before the winter break.
Meanwhile speculation has already begun on who will lead Bayern from next season.
Dutch former internationals Marco van Basten, the Dutch national team coach, and Frank Rijkaard, under fire at Barcelona, as well as former Germany coach and Bayern player Juergen Klinsmann are seen as candidates.
Liverpool's Spanish coach Rafael Benitez is said to be admired by Bayern, while former Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho is also on the market.
© 2008 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur |
|