|
|
FIFA to discuss Spanish suspension threat
ZURICH, Switzerland, March 13 (Reuters) - FIFA's threat to suspend the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) over alleged government interference will be further discussed by FIFA's executive committee on Friday.
Although not explicitly named in the meeting agenda issued by FIFA last week, spokesman Andreas Herren confirmed to Reuters on Thursday that the Spanish issue is one of the 'legal and sports political matters' scheduled for discussion in Zurich.
If the RFEF were suspended, Spain would be barred from playing in the European Championship finals in Austria and Switzerland in June.
World soccer's governing body is also due to give its opinion on controversial plans by the English Premier League to play a round of domestic league matches overseas.
The committee will in addition be asked by members representing South America to reconsider its ban on international football matches played 'without acclimatisation' above an altitude of 2,750 metres.
According to a senior source at FIFA, no final decision is expected to be taken in regard to Spain's possible suspension but the committee is likely to support calls by FIFA president Sepp Blatter for the Spanish government to back down.
Blatter is angry at the government's instructions for all Spanish sporting federations not involved in August's Beijing Olympic Games to hold elections in the first quarter of 2008.
The FIFA president insisted last month that the directive amounted to political interference since the Spanish FA were not due to hold their elections until November.
'It would be tough, but it would only take six hours to call a FIFA emergency meeting to hear and decide upon Spain's exclusion,' Blatter told a media briefing.
'Spain would not be able to play at Euro 2008 and their clubs wouldn't continue in the Champions League or UEFA Cup.'
The Spanish government, backed by a court ruling on Feb. 29, maintains it is legally entitled to call for early elections within its national sporting bodies.
The discussions over the Premier League's overseas fixtures proposal has become less urgent following the league's decision last month to delay talks with FIFA on the subject and instead conduct 'further internal studies and consultation'.
Nevertheless, FIFA's executive committee is expected to express scepticism at the idea which has already been branded 'a joke' by UEFA president and FIFA vice-president Michel Platini.
The committee is also likely to stick to its previous ruling on matches at high altitude, having announced in December that international games could not be played above 2,750 metres 'unless those involved were allowed to acclimatise.'
FIFA said in December that the ban was to come into immediate effect but the executive committee's South American members are expected to ask for a delay allowing for at least the completion of the current World Cup qualifying competition.
看點1: 加速歐洲足協同世界足協既分裂?
看點2: 英格蘭後補參加歐國杯既可能性?
[ 本帖最後由 Raul_Gonzalez 於 2008-3-21 02:06 AM 編輯 ] |
|