|
|
Ferguson and McGregor ostracised by Scotland
By Soccernet staff
The pair were caught on camera making childish "V signs" across their faces
at television cameras. They had been dropped for the Iceland World Cup
qualifier after breaking squad discipline and spending the night drinking.
A furious Rangers manager Walter Smith sent the pair home from training on
Friday and they were suspended by the Scottish giants without pay. Ferguson
has also been stripped of the Rangers captaincy.
The Scottish FA had claimed on Thursday that the matter was closed but have
now taken a tougher stance by ruling the pair will never play for their
country again. The SFA have been besieged by phone calls and e-mails from
irate Scotland fans.
It is understood the negative reaction from supporters and supporters'
groups added to the pressure for the matter to be discussed again.
Following a further meeting between chief executive Gordon Smith and manager
George Burley, sanctioned by the SFA board, it was decided neither player
would play for Scotland again.
An SFA spokesman said: "In light of the events of the past 48 hours and
following further discussions between the national team manager and the
chief executive, it has been decided that Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor
will no longer be considered for international selection by Scotland.
"This action has been taken in the best interest of the squad, the fans and
the country.
"We are determined to qualify for the World Cup and we must ensure that
nothing is allowed to distract us from achieving this goal."
Ferguson and McGregor were called to a meeting with Bain at Murray Park,
where they were informed of the action being taken by the club.
Bain said: "The overall conduct of the players during the last week while on
Scotland duty has, regrettably, fallen considerably short of the standards
expected by Rangers Football Club and our supporters and has brought the
club into disrepute.
"The management of the club has taken the view that this has damaged both
Rangers and Scotland and is unacceptable.
"Even though our club is entering the critical stage of the league season
and the later stages of the Scottish Cup, appropriate disciplinary action
was required."
Rangers have agreed with the players that part of their deducted wages will
be donated to charity. Both players issued an apology for their actions and
spoke of their disappointment that their international careers are now over.
Ferguson said: "I deeply regret what happened last weekend and the events
during the last week and apologise wholeheartedly for the embarrassment
caused to Scotland, Rangers, both sets of supporters and my friends and
family.
"I have always considered playing for Rangers and Scotland an honour and a
privilege and nothing will change that and I am bitterly disappointed by the
announcement that I will not be selected for Scotland again."
McGregor - who made his competitive debut against Holland on Saturday -
added: "I was absolutely delighted to be selected for Scotland last weekend
and I am deeply sorry over what has happened since then.
"We all make mistakes in life and I am very disappointed to have let
Rangers, Scotland, my family, all the fans down.
"I am also desperately disappointed that I will not be selected again for
Scotland at this stage in my career." |
|