Liverpool miss out on seeding for Europa League draw
Liverpool face the prospect of potentially tough opponents in their first experience of the Europa League after UEFA confirmed they will not be seeded for Friday's knockout stage draw.
Poor goal difference in the Champions League groups means Rafael Benitez's side miss out on being among the 16 top seeds for the new-look competition, which replaces the UEFA Cup.
It means Liverpool - along with Everton and Fulham, who are both also unseeded - may have to play strong teams including a trio from Germany - holders Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg and Hamburg - as well as Italian giants Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk from Ukraine and Turkish club Galatasaray.
A UEFA spokesman said: "Liverpool will not be one of the seeded teams. The top seeds are the 12 groups winners from the Europa League and the best four third-placed sides from the Champions League.
"Among the clubs dropping down from the Champions League, Juventus and Unirea Urziceni won more points than Liverpool, while Marseille and Wolfsburg had a better goal difference."
The seeded teams are also given the advantage of playing the second leg at home. The round of 32 starts on February 16 with the final in Hamburg on May 12.
Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed bans tracksuited Shakhtar Donetsk players from his Harrods store
By Laura Williamson
Last updated at 2:35 AM on 18th February 2010
Shakhtar Donetsk will be out for revenge tonight after the team were turned away from London department store Harrods, which is owned by Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed.
The Ukrainian side visited the shop in Knightsbridge on Monday but were told they were not allowed to enter because their group was ‘too big and suspicious’.
Shakhtar, who won the UEFA Cup last year, meet Fulham in the last 32 of the Europa League at Craven Cottage tonight.
Shakhtar Donetsk
Harrods tomorrow lads: Shakhtar Donetsk players watch Fulham's FA Cup match against Notts County
A statement on Shakhtar’s official website said: ‘The players decided to increase the earnings of one of London’s reputable shops, Harrods. The footballers have money and were eager to buy a lot, but weren’t allowed to enter the shop.
‘All of them were wearing similar tracksuits. The players explained this was the football team and they had no habit of taking tuxedos to the training camp to go shopping.
'But the explanations were fruitless.’ The players continued their shopping trip in another store, ‘where the owner was very glad’.
A Harrods spokesman said the shop did not wish to ‘offend or upset visitors’, but the ‘difficult decision’ had been taken ‘in the interest of health and safety’.
Fulham manager Roy Hodgson said: ‘I’m surprised to hear it. The chairman normally loves people to spend their money with him!’